4 x 1 Layout Challenge
In 2015, MRC members were set the challenge of building a small layout for exhibition at our December open day. The number of entries was gently been whittled down for a combination of reasons but four layouts made it to Keen House on Sunday 6th December, in no particular order:
- "Manatee Bay" - HO US outline - Eddie Thompson
- "Old Head - County Mayo" - Irish 'broad' gauge - Nestor Middleton
- "Newton Peverill" - British N gauge - Mike Lloyd
- "Narrow Gorge" - British OOn3 - Tom Cunnington
"Manatee Bay" was judged to be the layout which had most closely achieved the criteria set out below, and follow the links to read more about the four very different layouts. The picture shows from left Eddie, Mike Arnold (NMRA British Region President, and "head judge"), Nestor, Mike Lloyd and Tom.
The 'rules' are:
1. Layout must be 4'x1' (1216x304mm) inclusive of fiddle yard(s).
2. Any Scale and Gauge combination is accepted.
3. Layout must be built by one member only. No collaboration.
4. To be presented at the December Open Day 2015.
5. The layout must be built and wired in such a way that at least one locomotive or similar vehicle can operate.
6. Layouts must not be constructed at the MRC.
7. Layouts will be judged and a prize awarded for the best layout presented.